Listening to the Lord

During this time of the end, many Christians feel an urgency that the Lord is wanting them to do a task of some sort. Many people I know are feeling a calling to do more... to do something. Some of these tasks He calls us to do may be large and some may be small, but He has a Plan for all of us. We who obey heed the call. As I said yesterday, it’s all hands on deck. No back seat pew-warmers allowed.

Sometimes, if you are like me, you focus on the details of the specific task before launching it. At times this is OK but other times the Lord simply wants you to take the plunge first and allow Him to lead the way. You are on a "need to know basis."

I am embarking on a task that I feel He has called me to begin: writing a book. I have many questions about the process because over the last few years the publishing industry has changed so dramatically. If I had received this call ten years ago I'd simply peck away at my typewriter, bundle the manuscript, find an agent and sell it. Not so now. Personal publishing is now more accessible to the individual than ever before, thanks to blogs and thanks to e-publishing. Indeed, 2010 has been dubbed the “Year of E-publishing.” While some questions do need to be answered prior to launching into the project, others are mere details that would hinder my progress if I linger too long on them. Last night I researched the initial questions for a while, then, tired, I went to bed still with other questions unanswered, wondering which direction to take.

I had a dream from the Lord. I was in a van or a church bus with a n older man I’d seen before, once in real life and once in another dream. I believe he is an angel. We were driving through a poor part of a city and there were many teens and young adults on the street. They were loitering and ambling, some were actually in the street and prevented us from driving until they languidly got out of the way. I noticed the man was not perturbed by this and was patient and loving through it all. As we waited and inched forward on our slow progress, I noticed he had a hardcover book on his dashboard. I picked it up and examined it, and saw that it was an e-published book. Excited, my mind formed with a million questions I was about to ask him. As I opened my mouth and turned to ask the first question, he turned to me first and began speaking.

Smiling, he simply said, “Why, my dear, you simply listen to what the Lord is telling you to do, and then do it.”

I laughed. Suddenly the labyrinth of details I’d constructed melted away. It was a wonderful reminder and I was humbled that He took the time to remind me. He will lead, the answers will come at each stage of your task as He wills. Listen, and do. Christian, are you listening? That is all you need, listen and then do it. Each task is important for the Lord. Each one of us is important to complete our taks. Each one of us is part of His plan. Listen, and do.

It is just that simple.

Comments