Bachmann pulls a punch: says eq & hurricane was warning from God, then says she's joking

Presidential Candidate Michelle Bachmann is an evangelical conservative. This always makes the political world nervous. It makes everyone who is not saved nervous, frankly. The world does not understand our adherence to Jesus, our love for Him, and certainly does not understand submission to Him and His ways. Christians and the world are separate. (1 John 2:15; James 4:4).

We are told to be bold in declaring Jesus as savior and not to deny Him before men or he will deny us. (Matthew 10:33; Mark 8:38; 2 Tim 2:12).

Today Bachmann said the following: "While courting conservative and religious voters in Florida over the weekend, Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann used the significant natural disasters that recently hit the East Coast to jokingly make the case that God would approve of less government spending. "I don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians," Bachmann said at a rally, eliciting chuckles from audience. "We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?' Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now... They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in the spending." After reports of the remarks generated some criticism, the Bachmann campaign clarified the candidate was joking."

Now, I do not believe that her comments denied Jesus, exactly. She seems to me to be a year-round believer, unlike some fair weather, political believers (calling John McCain...). But it just makes me sad to hear someone say something that's true- God is sending warnings, and when criticized, pulls back and claims she's 'joking.' That is worse. Warnings of imminent judgment are not a joking matter. Either be up front about your thoughts on God, or down't say anything at all in the public spheres.

Just once, I'd love to hear a candidate who follows Jesus say something about Him that we all know will rile the unsaved, and stand on the comment with boldness and joy. If Bachmann had responded, "Yes, I said that and I believe it. Next question, please", I'd be so much happier with her right now.

Comments

  1. It took serious boldness to say it in the first place but you know she immediately imagined the universally resounding backlash that would come upon her and she shut it down in fear. It happens to all of us but I pray that as God is setting us free from that fear, she will also be set free in Jesus' name! If she's a true child of God, she is where she is for such a time as this! I think as natural disasters get bigger and more devastating, she won't be able to NOT say something like this boldly.

    I honestly never really paid attention to her before this (I immediately assume they all claim to be christian for votes) so this has certainly got my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no further insight, really. I don't know what to think of politicians. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment