A mundane day that was also miraculous

Yesterday was so relaxing. It was unusually relaxing.

Normally my Saturdays fly by. I am blessed with having a M-F job, so that my weekends are always free from having to work at my job. As for weekends, I save Sundays for worship. I don't cook or clean, or do much of anything except attend Sunday School, Church service, have a nap, and contemplate and study the scriptures offered by the pastor in the sermon. I don't go out on Sundays, except for church.

That leaves Saturdays to get everything done. That day is the burdened burro of the week, the go-to day. I do cooking for the week ahead, cleaning, laundry, chores, errands, bills, all of it. Add to that the usual joy of bible study, listening to sermons or lectures, preparing for the Sunday School lesson, and prayer, it gets crammed. You know what I'm talking about. Saturdays are always busy. Hence, they go by quickly.

Not yesterday. I was filled with a sense of incredible peace. I was completely relaxed. The unseasonally warm weather helped, certainly. The temperatures were in the 70s and it was sunny. The windows were open and the birds were swooping and singing. But still. The day seemed to have actually telescoped into something longer than 24 hours. Great chunks of time went by but it was still early. I had time to do everything I needed, plus more. I was wringing more relaxation from the day than its mundanity warranted.

So I'm making my breakfast this morning. I'm cutting up potatoes to steam, and I'm thinking, "WHY was I so relaxed?" LOL, you know me, I have to analyze everything. I went down a mental list of all that happened yesterday and I came to a conclusion.

I had spent an extra lot of time with the Lord. I studied relishingly. I prayed fervently. I listened diligently. I cried, I petitioned, I laughed. I thought about Him, talked with Him, and praised Him. It wasn't cursory attention, either. I do the quick or the superficial sometimes like everyone else does. A quick prayer, skim the bible, throwaway chat. I can be superficial with Him if I let myself be, and I do often enough. Yesterday I gave Him good attention from the mind and heart and soul. He gave me peace. His peace. I believe what I experienced yesterday was evidence of supernatural peace. It had to be.

The bible speaks often of this peace.

"Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble." (Psalm 119:165)
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7)
"and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." (Ephesians 3:19)

And so on.

Sometimes we think that peace is for people who are undergoing a trial, like persecution or deep grief. And it is. But the peace of Jesus can saturate us in the mundane, too. Doing dishes, putting in a load of laundry. He keeps His children.

Far from being so busy that we crowd Him into a quick prayer, when we make time for Him, He makes 'time' for us. A Jesus saturated day is peaceful. Every second that passes which is coated in praise and seeking Him is a different kind of second that passes when we hurry along with Jesus at the back of the bus. Really.

Please set the things of this world aside to make time for Him. You will be pleasantly surprised. You won't understand it, but you will be surprised. And relaxed.

Source




photo credit: Stuck in Customs via photopin cc

Comments

  1. Once again Elizabeth you are faithfully reporting on what the Spirit is showing you “His peace”. Not only is he showing you but also many others who are close to Him myself included. This was posted on John McTeran's site this very morning:
    “ It is painful for me to report on what 2013 looks like. The potential for bloodshed is very high and if I dwell too much on it the year is frightening. For the first time since I have been in the ministry, I am fearful of what is coming. Before, I had a heaviness for the nation, but now a it is a sense of fear. When I sense the fear, I confess it to the LORD and ask for His peace. I never felt fear before, but now it is real. It seems that the endgame is now in play.
    I suggest that everyone grow close to the Lord Jesus and do not let fear overcome you. Stay in pray and focused on the coming of the Lord Jesus for His bride. Looking for the Blessed Hope quells all fear.
    May the LORD God of Israel bless and protect you and your family.
    John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. “

    Your blog spot is truly fulfilling one of the things that the apostle Paul told the Hebrews in Rome and us to do:
    Heb 10:25
    Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
    NIV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, your comment greatly touched me. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. This is what our Sunday School lesson covered this past Sunday as well. Excellent blog by the way!

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ryan,

      Welcome tot he blog, and thank you! What kids of things did your SS Class discuss?

      Delete
  3. We're in James right now, so more of the "trial" peace, but still had good discussion on other circumstances of His peace, how it transcends understanding, and relates to other fruit of the spirit

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, it relates to other fruits of the Spirit, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks. Enjoy the study!

      Delete

Post a Comment