Biblical Doctrine Study week 1 thoughts

Are you desiring to try a thorough study in Systematic Theology but don't know where to start? Have you excitedly bought or were given the John MacArthur/Richard Mayhue tome Biblical Doctrine but are too intimidated to start?

Jessica Pickowicz of Beautiful Thing has written a Study Guide to go along with the book. She has also created a Facebook group of women to gather and discuss it. The Study will take about two years. It just began this week and it is certainly not too late to join!!! I blogged about it earlier.

This is the first essay with thoughts from what I've studied.

I love theology. I love knowledge, and I love wisdom. The word "theology" comes from two Greek words that combined mean "the study of God." Knowledge is the accumulation of facts and information. Wisdom is the synthesis of knowledge with appropriate applications to life. If you study God through His Bible and speak about Him in ways where people can find application of His precepts to their life, you are a theologian speaking knowledgeably with wisdom.

The first lesson was to read the preface. I found this passage to be worthwhile:

The ultimate goal of writing such a systematic theology and to study such a systematic theology is
"to elevate one's holy worship. The posture of theology is on one's knees. The model of theology is repentance." 
The quote is from Sinclair Ferguson who was quoted in James Boice and Philip Ryken's book "The Doctrines of Grace."

I think that quote cuts to the chase. If I have any inclinations of accumulating knowledge for knowledge's sake, this cuts me off at the knees. More importantly, it brings me to my knees. The only purpose of such study is to better know God and to offer him increasingly elevated holy worship. This is His due. This is the chief end of man and the reason for our existence: relationship though worship and giving Him glory.

EPrata photo

Comments